This piece is part of the AAVVGG Archive and not currently part of the collection.
A feeling for beauty paired with functionality. This combination is the hallmark of many Marcel Breuer designs, especially the D4 (formerly B4). The collapsible tubular steel lounge chair with straps was created in 1926/27 and advertised in Breuer’s first tubular steel catalogue as “particularly suitable” for ships and sports grounds as well as for patios, summer houses, gardens and garden cafés. This sporty, airy ambience has inscribed itself into the design, and the D4 still looks light and springy today.
This is a palpable step into the modern age, putting functional design into the spotlight. The history of the D4 at Tecta began in the mid-1970s. While researching, Axel Bruchhäuser came across Breuer’s initial designs and sought contact with the designer. He told him that the folding chair was much more beautiful than the version with runners and that it simply had to be produced. Breuer was pleased that his design had been discovered and replied: “The resurfacing of this chair is like an old forgotten dream.” He saw this chair as the result of a genetic-constructive development that began with the four-legged Wassily chair, continued with the addition of runners by the Junkers Aircraft Factory, and finally ended in the folding chair.
Improved until no further enhancement was possible. Pared down to the essentials, its minimalism incorporates the motif of movement in that it could be folded, stowed away and easily transported. Due to the more economical use of tubular steel and elimination of the lateral seat straps, it consumed less material while affording the sitter much greater comfort.
In 1980 the D4 was added to the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art, New York. A unique specimen of the first armchair, featuring Peter Keler’s horsehair fabric, is held in the permanent collection of the Cantilever Chair Museum in Lauenförde. This version is an airy construction using a minimum of material.
The Bauhaus Archive in Berlin has officially licensed the D4 from Tecta as an authentic Bauhaus production, made to the exact proportions of the original design.
- Marcel Breuer, Hungray c.1926
- Nickel-Plated Steel frame with creme white leather (category 1.) straps
- Made in Germany
- Height 71cm / 28"
- Depth 61cm / 24"
- Width 78cm / 30.7"
- Seat Height 44cm / 17.3"